Thursday, December 17, 2009

Across America in 3.5 Days

I suppose I kinda rushed it.

Sunday morning I left San Diego and my beloved homegirl Anna, speeding down Highway 8 in the direction of my freedom. I almost started crying again. Here's the hardest part, I thought to myself. Leaving California and all my best friends, and driving until I can't drive any longer.

The night before we had stayed up late drinking Rex Goliath and smoking hookah, so my endurance was below par. I drove through the south east of California, where the mountains are just messy piles of rocks. It looks as if someone forgot the dirt and trees. Poor naked mountains, I thought. I drove through western Arizona, where there are golden sand dunes like cremated mountains, and you can see the big black fence that's being built between us and Mexico. Then I'm stopped in traffic at the first of several border patrol stations. "Are you an American Citizen?" "Is this your vehicle?" "Is there anyone else in the vehicle?"

I talked to a biker at a gas station the next day, and he said that the border police officer had looked at him with a straight face and asked "Is there anyone else in your vehicle?"

I got to Tucson in on Sunday evening and fell asleep in the parking lot of a Chevron, in the front seat of my truck. When I woke up three hours later I decided to keep driving, since staying at a KOA costs 35 bucks, and I wasn't really tired anymore. There was no moon, and I drove through eastern Arizona and almost all the way through New Mexico. I slept that night at a rest stop near Las Crucas, and awoke to a chilly morning with beautiful snow-capped mountains in front of me, and the sun just rising.

...to be continued....

2 comments:

  1. That sounds beautiful...

    and what the biker said just goes to prove that cops aren't human, they're ALIENS!!! (suspenseful note),

    ... I hope the rest of the drive goes well,
    -Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  2. extra-terestrials, not forein people... Space Aliens! (suspenseful note)

    ReplyDelete